Post-craniotomy Seizures & Headaches

I had my first craniotomy Nov. 1988 (AVM right-frontal), second May 1990.

Had seizures (usually tonic-clonic) from Dec. '88 - 1992.

Stopped Tegretol in 2001 ('cause couldn't afford it w/o insurance).

Had no problems at all until Nov '06. Full-blown grand-mal got me while driving home from work one night. Tried Tegretol, Dilantin, Trileptal (all generic) and am currently on 300 Dilantin & 3600 Trileptal per day. Seizures have been with me ever since that night.

Now, here's my question:

After a seizure, through maybe a day afterward, my head hurts, right around the site of my AVM when I bend over. Its only then I have the pain (after the seizure, I mean).

Whaddya think? Is that pain 'cause of vascular or neuro reasons?

Hard to guess on the cause of the pain.

Having a seizure can be like having a train wreck in your brain. Even when the seizure ends, there will still be electrical firings (and misfirings) going on AFTER the outward signs of seizure have ended. If you've ever seen an EEG recording during a seizure, it might help show you what is going on. Similar to a seismograph during no tremor action, the EEG needles will be bouncing off the chart paper during and after a seizure.

Hope this helps.

Ron, KS

Thanks Ron!

"...a train wreck in your brain" I like that!!!!

I tell my friends, "I'm an idiot, and I can prove it!" Maybe I'll do so for you here & now ;-)

I've seen the EEGs you speak of. I guess I cannot (yet) understand how electrical misfirings could cause pain (?) That's how I came to the "could-this-be-a-vascular-issue" idea.

C'est la vie

Ron, KS said:

Hard to guess on the cause of the pain.

Having a seizure can be like having a train wreck in your brain. Even when the seizure ends, there will still be electrical firings (and misfirings) going on AFTER the outward signs of seizure have ended. If you've ever seen an EEG recording during a seizure, it might help show you what is going on. Similar to a seismograph during no tremor action, the EEG needles will be bouncing off the chart paper during and after a seizure.

Hope this helps.

Ron, KS