CT Angiogram Findings

I am 6 months post removal of my right frontal AVM. I had a CT angiogram on Monday and just got the results back. This isn’t my first one but I’m confused my the results and hoped someone more medically inclined could help interpret. I’m still about 2 weeks till my next check in and can’t wait that long to know.

The first weird thing is that for every artery it says normal in caliber except for this:

Anterior Cerebral Artery: A1 segment.

No other reference to this anywhere else.

Then at the bottom it says “Stable draining vein extending from the resection cavity. No convincing evidence for residual nidus.”

Stable draining sounds good?!
What is no convincing evidence? Can’t they just say no evidence. This makes me think that there is evidence it’s just not good evidence.

Then the last thing is says “ No definite residual nidus is visualized.”

If someone could break this down from medical speak to something that makes sense to a lay person I would truly appreciate it. I know I’m overthinking it but I currently live my life waiting for the other show to drop.

It is really hard not to overthink things! I can’t interpret what the report says, they often dictate it and I think sometimes they have a tendency to feel the need to talk, but sometimes despite the words they don’t say much. I think it is fairly wishy washy but certainly no indication that there is remaining nidus, way better to have that language than querying the presence. Likely not a lot of help, and despite the wait, is to have the conversation in two weeks at your next appointment. Take Care, John.

3 Likes

So none of us here are medical experts but my interpretation of this part of your report is that there is nothing about the draining vein that looks like it is part of your AVM.

My understanding is that if you leave a part of an AVM not closed off, it is inclined to continue to develop and lead on to rupture. What I read into this part of your report is that the doctor is reviewing the situation and saying (in as strong terms as they would ever use) that there’s no sign of any part of the AVM nidus remaining.

In other words, you look all done.

In the same way, they’re saying that there’s no visual appearance of the nidus.

The term “nidus” is Latin, similar to Italian “nido” meaning “bird’s nest”. This is the technical term used to refer to the tangle of vessels that comprises most AVMs.

The reason the doctor uses uncertain terms to describe what appears on the scan is that these things are difficult to be certain 100% so they are offering their opinion on the results and an interpretation of that which I read to be as good a statement of “there’s no remaining sign of an AVM” as you’ll get.

It sounds really good.

Hope this helps you get through the next two weeks. I’m really sure it is good news.

Richard

4 Likes

I’m not a medical expert but also had a right frontal AVM removed in 2011 & understand the anxiety upon follow up scans etc… in reading that I would agree with the others above that it looks all OK!

You’ll find in medicine they can never give you 100% & use loose words so they are not committed to being wrong or right, just in case… God bless!

2 Likes

Hi Jessica, All that I will venture to say is that I’m not seeing any bad news. That’s huge.
I hope you continue to recover very rapidly. Best wishes, Greg

Hi all! Thanks for the responses. I meant to come back after my doctor appointment. You were all right I’m all good. Doctor is happy with my brain. The A1 segment thing is I guess I have congenital hypoplasia or something like that and one of my vessels is smaller on one side then the other. He said it was fairly common so I’m not goi g to worry bout it I guess. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I truly appreciate you all!

3 Likes

That’s great news!

God bless!