AVM stroke recovery

My name is Julie, I’m 32 and in the states. June 2022 I had a very intense set of seizures for the first time. A grade 4 AVM was discovered on the right frontal lobe. Just a few months later in September 22 I underwent surgery to remove it. After the first stage, embolization, it ruptured. I had a stroke. Now, April 23, I have relearned how to talk, feed myself and walk, mostly. It has been a long, painful and frustrating journey. I have learned so much about myself and have made a 180. I am now truly grateful and have learned to always have some fun

15 Likes

Thank God! I am so happy that you’re doing well.

2 Likes

After my stroke i was able to walk in and out of the hospital, but the relearning how to talk, write and do simple math problems was the hardest thing thing I have ever had to do. It sounds like you attacked this situation head on and met the challenge. Congrats.

3 Likes

Thank you community for your support <3

1 Like

The stubbornness and tenacity I have also had since birth have been extremely useful

1 Like

That’s a good news story! Well done and keep working to recover as much as you can.
Can you ride a bike again?
Like you I had to relearn how to walk and talk. My sense of balance is still damaged so you’ll see me have a unique walking style up on the hills and mountains.
I’m over 30 years post bleed and surgery so please get copies of all your scans in case you need them.

I’m just grateful I can live and travel independently.

Best
Tim

2 Likes

Thank you! I can ride my bike… sort of! I cruise around my neighborhood often! I lost peripheral vision so I am very careful, ride slow and back streets only.

I am flying in a plane for the first time after my injury, any tips? Extra gum? Haha

1 Like

Flying tips. Yes focus the air vent on you as soon as possible and do whatever to take your mind off the changing pressure. Sometimes I have read or done a puzzle book or eat chocolate but if all else fails hit the gum!
I fly a few times a year so am now quite relaxed.

1 Like

I was worried about flying after my bleed, and gamma. I did a little research, very little research, so take it for what it is worth! Being in a pressurized aircraft is about the same pressure as living in Denver Colorado. I have never been to Denver, but would not have given a second thought about driving there. It put my mind at rest immediately so didn’t look for any more info! Take Care and safe travels! John.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice and hope! I will certainly try the chocolate!

What an interesting way to look at it!! Thank you so much for the spin on perspective!

I’m glad to hear you’re doing much better & living life… God bless!

1 Like

@HappyPlanter Hi Julie welcome I am Angela from the Bay Area CA. I go to Stanford for my medical stuff. I had my massive stroke at 43 cvst due to blood clots ( CVST) had to relearn everything like yourself and then got my avm about six months later. Then had a small stroke during my 1st embolism
Glad you found the site and recovered from your stroke. We are both super lucky.

Hugs
Angela

Angela, yea we are very lucky. I’ve always wanted to visit family there

1 Like

Well if you do come visit please let me and I’ll take you to lunch and show you around some local spots.
Hugs
Angela